History of the Vitebsk power system development
The first commercial power station in Vitebsk region was built in Vitebsk in 1898 and was intended to power the tram and the lighting of the city center.
The development of large-scale power in the country began with the Vitebsk region, when it was put into operation the Belarusian state district power station in 1930. In the same period it was built and the first power line.
During the years of formation and development of Vitebsk energy system built power plants in Vitebsk, Orsha, Polotsk and Novopolotsk.
Around the middle of the 60s in Belarus again began to be felt an acute power shortage and as a consequence, began searching for a way out. And he was the only one - to increase power. So it was decided to build on the banks of a large lake Lukoml new power plant - Lukoml, which announced a major Komsomol building.
In December 1969, on the Day of Energy has been successfully put into operation the first unit of 300 MW Lukoml, which solved the problem of power supply of the North-West region of the country.